“In” and “Out” of the closet jokes aside, I love merging form and function to create custom storage solutions. And in partnering with my clients, our work together makes their lives easier to live.
And more beautiful.
And I love teaching others how to do the same.
As a closet industry pioneer, award winning designer and author of two closet design books, I bring over 15 years of hands-on closet design experience to the projects I’m involved with.
And as a judge for the closet industries “Top Shelf” design awards, I have my finger on the pulse of the best design and how the industry is evolving.
With my experience of working in both “panel shops” and “mill work shops”, I’m able to bring a unique blend of expertise and perspective to the table (or closet, if you will). I know when a simple solution of “parts” is best and when to incorporate cabinetry for better design and structural integrity.
I’m a member of the inaugural class of Registered Storage Designers through the ACSP (Association of Closet and Storage Professionals). That translates that to that I’m one of only 24 people in the country who have passed a professional certification test that demonstrates in depth expertise and knowledge in the field of closet design. I’m also an active member of the NKBA (National Kitchen and Bath Association) where I work with NKBA Chapters across the country teaching closet design and sales.
I’ve been a contributing writer/blogger for The Wood IQ & The Woodworking Networking Publishing platforms (including Closets magazine) for nearly a decade. I’ve also been a winner of the “Top Shelf” Design Awards competition and had my work featured in places like The Chicago Tribune, The Chicago Sun-Times, Fortune Small Business, Kitchen & Bath Design News and For Residential Pros.
This winding path has led me to opportunities that include:
- Working with a large west coast cabinet manufacturer to help launch their closet product line and train their reps on how to design and sell closet space.
- Designing the retail showroom space of closet vignettes for a national retailer.
- Judging the closet industries’ Top Shelf Design Awards where designers from all over the country submit their projects in different categories to see who’s got the best space planning solution and beautiful aesthetic.
- Launching “Learn Closet Design On Line” – an on demand course that serves as a primer for those who want to get in to the closet industry and learn about how to design these tight, high demand spaces.
- Authoring “Closet Design Beyond Measure” – a guide to closet design, “How to Design a Walk In Closet” and “The Consumer Guide to Closet Design”
- Creating video and online content in collaboration with industry partners like:
I love design and I love marketing.
And I love being able to take my design/build expertise, leverage it in terms of marketing and work in conjunction with other businesses to do help them do the same.
I’m a happy, active member of: